The Pig and Whistle was on the outskirts of the village on the crossroads leading to Ready Token and Coln St. Aldwyns. It was an isolated outlet for Smith’s Brimscombe Brewery Ales. When the Brimscombe Brewery closed and their 22 public houses were offered for auction (Sept 1915) the Pig and Whistle was purchased by the Cirencester Brewery. The date of conveyance was 30th October 1915. Simonds Beers from Reading were sold after 1937. The building is now a private house called the Old Pig and Whistle. The building looks like it might have once had stabling.
Map Reference: SP 145045
Owner in 1891: Elizabeth Ivin (leased Smith & Sons, Brimscombe Brewery)
Rateable Value in 1891: £10.5s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Beerhouse
Owner in 1903: Smith & Sons, Brimscombe Brewery
Rateable Value in 1903: £10.5s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Beerhouse
Closing time in 1903: 10pm
Owner in 1915: Cirencester Brewery
Landlords at the Pig & Whistle include:
1871,1881 Elizabeth Ivin (aged 63 in 1871 census; Henry Webb is her son-in-law,34)
1891 Henry Webb
1901 Emily Claridge (aged 26)
1903,1913 Walter D. Claridge
1939 William Hy. Smith