The Phoenix Inn was at the junction with Phoenix Passage, which still exists in name only as it forms the High Street entrance of the West End car park. The Phoenix would have been located almost opposite the Shakespeare Inn (now the Shamrock). Cheltenham trade directories list the Phoenix Inn at this location from at least 1870 to 1883, but the 1891 petty licensing records show that the pub had changed its name to the Nelson Inn, an ale house owned and tied to the Cheltenham Original Brewery. However, this incarnation did not last long as it is documented that the Nelson Inn had closed by 1907. The building then appears to be used as a lodging house.
Landlords at the Phoenix Inn include:
1859 Richard Lloyd
1870 John Evans
1883 Samuel Grinnell
1885 Alfred Humphris
The Nelson Inn is listed as being at 221 High Street. Upon renumbering this equates to 405 High Street which no longer exists. It was on the north side just to the west of the Hire Shop where the car park is now. The Nelson Inn was previously known as the Phoenix Inn.
The Cheltenham Original Brewery were the owners of the Nelson Inn in 1891 and 1903. Classified as an alehouse it had an annual rateable value of £21.5s.0d., increasing by four pounds and five shillings to £25.10s.0d. in 1903.
Landlords at the Nelson Inn include:
1891 John Garrison
1902 James Dowdeswell
1903,1906 William Baker
1912 William James Brimfield