The Oxford House is included in a list of licensed premises in Cheltenham in the year 1844 that has been compiled by fellow pub historian Martin Edwards. The address is given as 24 York Street, Fairview.
There is a 24 York Street in existence today, and the property is a mid-terraced house with no obvious distinguishing features that gives a clue of its possible past history of a pub. There does, however, appear to be a large cellar grille – maybe an indication that it once was a licensed premises.
There is no reference to the Oxford Arms in the licensing book of 1891, some 47 years later.
1844 James Randall