Listed as the Old Crown, Whiteshill in 1891 and 1903. The 17th century Cotswold stone pub is still trading.
The restaurant at the Old Crown is named the Maypole after the famous maypole which has been a feature of Paganhill for the past 300 years. A sixty feet high maypole was erected in 1999 in the grounds of the Old Crown.
Historic accounts of the areas maypoles date back to at least 1804 when a rope broke as the pole was being raised and two children were killed as it fell.
This page will be updated with additional information.
Owner in 1891: Charles H. Stanton (leased Godsell & Sons, Salmon Springs Brewery, Stroud)
Rateable value in 1891: £11.5s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Beerhouse
Owner in 1903: Charles H. Stanton (leased Godsell & Sons, Salmon Springs Brewery, Stroud)
Rateable value in 1903: £11.5s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Beerhouse
Closing time in 1903:
Owner in 2008: Enterprise Inns
Landlords at the Old Crown include:
1891 William Lucas
1903 William Walter Cratchley
1927,1939 Job Bayliss
1969-1985 Phil & Eileen Allan (from the Horse & Groom in the Leazes. They retired on 27th April 1985 after 25 years as publicans)
1986 Keith Biddles
1999 (July)- Michele and Garry Kinley
2008 Brian and Sian Hart