Referred to as the Upper Crown in 1891. It was also sometimes known as the Top Crown to distinguish it from the Lower Crown which was further down the hill.
The stone built pub, which was built in 1638, overlooks the village green and is opposite the church. In spring a mass of daffodils cover the green.
The Old Crown was named the Pub of the Year by the Dursley sub branch of the Campaign for Real Ale in December 2000. The Old Crown suddenly closed just before Christmas 2005 and it was feared that the popular village local might had served its last pints. However, it re-opened on 4th August 2006 and continued serving the local Uley Brewery ales.
Map Reference: ST 792986
Owner in 1891: James Powell (free from brewery tie)
Rateable value in 1891: £12.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse
Owner in 1903: Godsell & Sons, Salmon Springs Brewery, Stroud
Rateable value in 1903: £12.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse
Closing time in 1903: 10pm
Landlords at the Old Crown include:
1856 J. Lord
1885,1891 James Powell
1902 William White
1903 Albert Brown
1906 Daniel Long
1919 Alfred William Daniels
1927 Mrs Annie Maria Smith
1939 Charles Paish
1998 Sandra Barrell
1987 Sandra Morgan, and daughter Kate