Caution: This information requires checking. It may not be correct. Can anyone help? This page requires updating.
Listed with no name in the 1891 / 1903 petty sessional divisional records. There is a reference in 1856 to the Three Compasses at Oldbury on the Hill. George Woolnough, who had been publican at the New Inn (now Holford Arms) at Knockdown, bought a property called the Malt House in Oldbury on the Hill in 1853 for £232. Three years later George’s eight year old son Robert fell through ice at the ‘Joyce Pool’ and tragically drowned. The inquest has ‘held in the Three Compasses Inn in the parish of Oldbury.’ It is probable that that the Three Compasses might have been in the Street, Didmarton.
Owner in 1891: Mrs Holborow (free from brewery tie)
Rateable value in 1891: £16.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Beerhouse (off sales only)
Owner in 1903: Duke of Beaufort (leased Arnold Perrett & Co. Ltd., Wickwar Brewery)
Rateable value in 1903: £16.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Beerhouse (off sales only)
Closing time in 1903: 10pm
Landlords / Keepers:
1856 J. Thompson
1891,1903 William Osborne