The Oak Inn was an isolated Cotswold stone beerhouse on the banks of the Thames and Severn canal. The Oak was popular with bargees and canal workers… an ideal place to stop after negotiating the flight of locks up from Brimscombe port.
The Wiltshire and Gloucestershire Standard reported in April 1904: ‘The canal ran along in front of the house and the Great Western Railway at the back, and the district was thinly populated. There was one licensed house to every 69 of the parish. The house was mostly frequented by men coming along the canal towpath from the neighbourhood of Chalford and Brimscombe.’ On Sunday 17th April 1904 a man named Joseph Coates of Brimscombe left the house drunk and was afterwards found drowned in the canal. The man who had been with him also appeared to be drinking, and slept in the stable that night. The situation of the house was unsafe for any person who left it under the influence of drink.
When the canal traffic ceased the Oak Inn was referred to the Compensation Authority for closure and Stroud Brewery offered no objection to its closure in February 1919.
Map Reference: SO 924029 (approx)
Owner in 1891: Charles Driver (free from brewery tie)
Rateable value in 1891: £10.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Beerhouse
Owner in 1903: Charles Driver (free from brewery tie)
Rateable value in 1903: £10.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Beerhouse
Closing time in 1903: 10pm
Landlords at the Oak Inn include:
1891 William Peart
1903 Charles Peart
1919 Samuel and Emily Elliott