When a licensed premises is listed as having no name it is very difficult to determine its location and history.
Charles Bailey was listed as the owner and occupier of this establishment in 1891, but twelve years later it seems that he had passed away as ownership in 1903 was recorded as being with the trustees of Charles Bailey. Eliza Bailey was the occupying landlady. The premises was licensed as a beer house and was free of brewery tie. The annual rateable value was set at £22.10s.0d. and it closed at 11 pm.
The family history of the Bailey family might give some clues on the whereabouts of this mysterious Newnham beer house. There was a Charles Bailey listed in 1876 as a ‘Coal merchant, grocer, haulier and railway agent’ in the High Street, Newnham.