Godsell & Sons of Salmon Springs, Stroud, once owned the New Pilot as their trade mark ‘malt shovel in hand’ emblem is displayed above the front door in ornamental plasterwork. It is in good condition. The decorative wording ‘The New Pilot Inn’ is also featured with two West Country Ales plaques either side of the front door.
Citizen. Saturday March 6th 1985: Advertisement – The New Pilot Inn, 159 Southgate Street. Skittle Alley now re-opened. Bookings available, with bar.
The New Pilot had three bars, two on the ground floor and a third upstairs which hosted Gloucester’s first night club in the Teddy Boy era of the 1950’s. Just before it closed down in 1999 it was a Gay pub. In its last incarnation the pub was called Professor Moriarty’s – the ‘New Pilot Inn’ stone masonry features were covered over.
In January 2003 writer Joanna Trollope opened the Vaughan centre at the old pub – a centre for homeless people (Gloucester Emergency Accommodation Resource – GEAR).
Landlords at the New Pilot Inn include:
1869-c1890 James and Sarah Gainey
1893 H. Lapworth
1902 C. Radford
1906 H. Lapworth
1919,1927 George Howden Smith
1936,1939 Hy. James Lodge
1957 Hy. Norman Leech
Norman Iveson Leech died March 1972
1980,1986 John & Sheila Whiteley
G Cummings provided materials for Home Brewed Beer