The New Inn has been known as the Windbound Inn since at least 1960. The Windbound is in an isolated position on the banks of the Severn Estuary just to the north of Oldbury Power Station. Last Guide to Avon’s Ale published by CAMRA in 1996 described it as a ‘large 16th century rural pub, at end of lane, on the side of the River Severn. Terrace overlooking river. Separate restaurant.’
The Windbound Inn is no longer trading.
Map reference: ST 614961
Owner in 1891: George Meachin (free from brewery tie)
Rateable value in 1891: £7.5s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse
Owner in 1903: George Machin (free from brewery tie)
Rateable value in 1903: £7.5s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse
Closing time in 1903: 10pm
Landlords at the New Inn / Windbound Inn include:
1885 John Ricketts
1891,1903,1906 William Ricketts
1919,1939 Charles Bennett
1906-1960 Maurice Bennett
1975 Roger Savery
1998 Kerry and Claudio Sabbani