The New Inn was situated on the towpath of the Stroudwater canal at Newtown. It was popular with bargees working on the waterway. It is not mentioned in the inventory of property that the Stroud Brewery Company undertook after the takeover of Godsell’s Brewery in 1928. However, it was certainly still trading in the early 1960’s when it was a noted cider house. It closed soon afterwards. It is now a private residence – the New Inn, Old Bristol Road, Newtown, Stonehouse.
Map Reference: SO 790057 (approx)
Rateable Value in 1891: £12.15s.0d.
Owner in 1891: F. Close of Epney. (free from brewery tie)
Type of licence in 1891: Beerhouse
Rateable Value in 1903: £12.15s.0d.
Owner in 1903: Godsell & Sons, Salmon Springs Brewery, Stroud
Type of licence in 1903: Beerhouse
Closing time in 1903: 10pm
Landlords at the New Inn include:
1891,1903 Charles Smith
1939 Benjamin Alfred Duxbury