The 1891 and 1903 licensing books list the New Inn in the parish of Kings Stanley, which is about a mile to the west of Selsley.
The New Inn was once a very popular pub on Selsley Common. In its later days it was a Stroud Brewery pub before being acquired by West Country Breweries / Whitbread. The whitewashed Cotswold stone building was demolished in 1967. It seems ridiculous that such a fine building, and pub, was lost in this official act of vandalism. The New Inn had an unusual outside skittles alley
Map reference: SO 830037
Owner in 1891: Smith & Sons, Brimscombe Brewery
Rateable value in 1891: £12.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse
Owner in 1903: Charles Smith & Sons, Brimscombe Brewery
Rateable value in 1903: £17.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse
Closing time in 1903: 10pm
Landlords at the New Inn include:
1861 George Horwood
1891 Charles Cooke
1903 Burnall Hogg
1928-1960 Ernest A. Cratchley
1955- 1965 Raymond & Alma Ward (moved to the Trumpet and then Swan Inn in Minchinhampton)