Cheltenham Original Brewery were the owners of the New Inn in 1891 and 1903. The annual rateable value of the licensed beer house was £15.5s.0d. in 1891, increasing by four pounds and five shillings to £19.10s.0d. in 1903.

The New Inn was renamed the New Penny in November 1970 in recognition of the change to decimal currency.

Above images: Courtesy Michael Wilkes

In February 1991 two hooded raiders entered the New Penny and stole more than £3,000. Not only did the robbers held up the frightened landlord, they also threatened to kill his dog.

The pub closed in June 2006 and was boarded up. In January 2007 vandals set fire to the empty pub causing extensive damage to the ground floor.

No longer the ‘Best in the West’

The New Penny was demolished in the early summer of 2008. It took a surprising long time for the demolition work to be completed.

Landlords at the New Inn /New Penny include:

1878,1891 John Minett

1903 Albert John Colston

1939 Mrs Elizabeth Coulston

1970 F.G. Halford

1992 Mrs Varian Brooks

2005 John Andrews

Share this Page: