The New Inn replaced the Prinns Arms at the far end of Cirencester Road (Up End). It was built on the site of a messuage held in the 16th and 17th century by the family known as Alexander alias Mansell. The New Inn was not far from Charlton Kings railway station and must have been used on many occasions as an alternative waiting room for the train to Kingham junction.
The New Inn changed its name to the Little Owl in the 1980’s to commemorate the winning Irish racehorse in the 1981 Cheltenham Gold Cup. The pub sign had a painting of Little Owl, which was ridden in the Gold Cup by Jim Wilson – one of only two amateur jockeys to win the prestigious race since the Second World War.
The racing connection was apparently forgotten by the late 1990’s when a refurbishment at the pub adopted an image of an owl for its logo. A conference suite was built at the rear of the pub. The Annecy Suite was specifically designed for conference facilities, corporate hospitality and weddings.
After another refurbishment in the Spring of 2007 the pub was re-launched as the Owl at Charlton Kings.
The Owl at Charlton Kings closed down after a property developer acquired it. Despite an active campaign to save it, the pub was demolished and residential apartments now occupy the site.
This page will be updated.
Owner in 1891: William Widdows (free from brewery tie)
Rateable value in 1891: £29.15s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Beerhouse
Owner in 1903: Cheltenham Original Brewery
Rateable value in 1903: £29.15s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Beerhouse
Closing time in 1903: 11pm
Landlords at the New Inn / Little Owl include:
1857 William Bate
1891 Charlotte Bethia Hewinson
1892 Robert Hewinson
1903 Henry Pinchin
1926,1939 George Edward Eaketts
2001, 2005 Michael and Diana Barnardiston (Little Owl)