The New Inn was located outside Newnham Station. The New Inn closed in the early 1950’s and the property, at the end of the former station approach road, is now in residential use and renamed the Brambles.
S.A. Green is recorded in the licensing books as the owner of the New Inn at Newnham in both 1891 and 1903. It was free of brewery tie. The annual rateable value of the premises, licensed as a beer house, was £18.0s.0d. and it closed at 11 pm. In 1909 the New Inn was purchased by Francis Wintle of the Forest Brewery in Mitcheldean.
Later, in 1923 the New Inn was put on the market as part of the Wintles’ Forest Brewery property estate. On the ground floor there was a tap room, beer store, three sitting rooms, a cider store and a kitchen. There were four bedrooms and two other rooms above.
When the New Inn was offered for sale again in 1937 the sale particulars included both the pub and an adjacent property called New Inn Cottage.
Newnham Railway Station was situated in a cutting on the north-west side of the town. It opened in 1851 with the commencement of services on the Gloucester to Chepstow line. For over 50 years Newnham was a through station on the Great Western Railway route to South Wales. From 1907 passenger services started on the branch towards Cinderford. A bay platform was added in the cutting to facilitate the Cinderford branch trains but was rarely used as trains usually proceeded to Gloucester and back. The services on the branch line ceased on 3rd November 1958 but the through station continued to serve passengers until November 1964.
Early 1850’s Oliver King
1891,1903 Joseph Green
1937,1939 Frederick John Miles