The New Inn Hotel is a 17th century Georgian coaching inn facing Market Place and backing on to the River Thames. The 1885 Kellys Directory lists it as the New Inn family & Commercial Hotel and Posting House.
The New Inn was purchased by the Cirencester Brewery ‘with land’ on 7th November 1898. There is another date of conveyance relating to the sale of the New Inn to the Cirencester Brewery on 20th November 1917 – maybe this was in the form of a bank loan to facilitate building works or improvements to the property.
Map Reference: SU 214995
Owner in 1891: William Tovey (free from brewery tie)
Rateable Value in 1891: £24.4s.6d.
Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse
Owner in 1903: Cirencester Brewery
Rateable Value in 1903: £24.4s.6d.
Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse
Closing time in 1903: 11pm
Landlords at the New Inn Hotel include:
1856 John Jacobs
1885 Jane Humphries
1891 Sarah Jane Humphries
1902, 1906 William Coombs
1913 Mr H.M. Oliver
1919 Mrs Florence Maria Oliver
1927 Mrs Ellen Hole