The New Inn, which was purpose built in 1855, is on the eastern side of Ruspidge Road (B4277). It was once a rare outlet for Alton Court Brewery Ales of Ross on Wye. The Rising Sun, which is directly opposite, was tied to the Nailsworth Brewery. The George Inn, a little further down the road, was tied to the Rock Brewery. I wonder if beer drinkers in late Victorian / early Edwardian times realised that Ruspidge was something of a beer drinkers paradise?
W. Morse was the owner of the New Inn in 1891. Classified as an ale house it was free of brewery tie with an annual rateable value of £20.0s.0d. In the intervening twelve years up to 1903 the New Inn had been acquired by the Alton Court Brewery in Ross on Wye. Closing time was at 11 pm. The Rising Sun across the road and the nearby George Inn closed at 10 p.m. The New Inn probably did very good custom after ten o’clock!
The New Inn is comprised of two distinct buildings. At right angles to the road there is a traditional sandstone building with two bay windows and a central door. Fronting the road is a rendered building with original window frames.
The New Inn was sometimes referred to locally as the ‘posh pub’. Apparently, the miners working in the nearby pits only visited the New Inn when they had washed and dressed up – whilst the George and Rising Sun were working men’s locals.
Dutchman Dirk van de Meyden took over the New Inn in February 2012. He has maintained it as a strong community pub. The New Inn has darts, pool and crib teams. He said, “The pub is always a hub of activity, with never a dull moment.” Sky sports is shown and the New Inn hosts monthly jazz sessions and race nights. The New Inn supports local charities, and an annual Harvest Festival in 2012 raised £1,400 for the Dilke Memorial Hospital.
The New Inn is currently closed. At the time of writing in June 2022 the pub has been sold, subject to contract, and extensive work is required on the property before it can be reopened.
Landlords at the New Inn include:
1891 1906 Henry Baldwin (also at the Upper Bilson Inn, Cinderford in 1902)
1919,1927 Arthur Hall
1939 John Wellington
1983 Glenda Brickwood
2008,2009 Vic and Dee Screen
2012 Dirk Van De Meyden