Even when the name of the pub was the New House it was often known unofficially as the Target Inn. The 1891 census refers to a Coneygre Inn in Bisley Road where Albert Hogg was proprietor. In 1934 the name was officially changed.
The Target took its name from the shooting range in the Horns Valley used by the Stroud Volunteers during the latter part of the nineteenth century. The rifle range closed in 1914. The Target Inn, with is fine views, was very popular with the American GI’s billeted in the old Stroud workhouse during the last war.
It was originally a beerhouse but gained a license to sell wines and spirits in 1948. The lack of parking for motor vehicles no doubt attributed towards its closure. It is mentioned on the ‘Inns of the Cotswolds’ map which was published by John Bartholomew & Son in the mid 1970’s and compiled by K.C. Jordan. Tom Powles might have been the last licensee at the Target Inn before it closed c.1971. It is now a private house.
Owner in 1891: Godsell & Sons, Salmon Springs Brewery, Stroud
Rateable value in 1891: £15.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Beerhouse
Owner in 1903: Godsell & Sons, Salmon Springs Brewery, Stroud
Rateable value in 1903: £15.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Beerhouse
Closing time in 1903: 11pm
1891,1939 Albert Hogg (Albert Hogg was proprietor of the Coneygre Inn in 1891)
? Tom Powles