The Nelson Inn at Far Oakridge stood on the junction of the Daneway and Iles Green Road. It was a simple Cotswold stone building which ceased to be a pub in 1969.
In his book ‘The Pubs of the Old Stroud Brewery’ Wilfred Merrett wrote: “This typical country inn has been visited by many of the well-known personalities who have chosen to live in this part of the Cotswolds. During the Second World War period, Max Beerbohm daily walked to the inn to buy cigarettes, and more recently Robert Mawdesley (the first ‘Walter Gabriel’) made the pub his local. Larry Connors, the last landlord before the inn closed, also farmed the adjacent smallholding.”
Map Reference: SO 926037
Owner in 1891: Charles Henry Driver (leased Clissold & Son, Nailsworth Brewery)
Rateable value in 1891: £36.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse
Owner in 1903: Charles Henry Driver (leased Nailsworth Brewery)
Rateable value in 1903: £36.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse
Landlords at the Nelson Inn include:
1856 J. Hill
1885 Henry William Wyndham
1891 William Smith
1902 Thomas Buckland
1903,1906 Martin Buckland
1919 John Phipps
1927,1939 Mrs Annie Phipps
1969 Larry Connors