Nags Head is the name of an isolated hamlet just to the east of Avening on the unclassified road towards Cherington. The settlement is probably named after the public house. Much of the hamlet of Nags Head was bought up in the late 1700’s and early 1800’s by the George family of Cherington. The George family built a very substantial lake called the Cherington pond as part of their estate.
The Nags Head is an old building of interesting architectural styles. It is essentially a Cotswold stone building but has an elaborate stone carved frontage, uncharacteristic of a simple village pub. The carvings must have been above the original entrance but has been since replaced by a single window. The ornate carvings might have had some connections with bee-keeping (there is a beehive in the design) and is thought to have been carved by Paul Tuffley – the Tuffley family were bee keepers, masons, quarry owners and publicans – another Paul Tuffley ran the Beehive Inn at Balls Green.
The Nags Head closed in the early 1970’s.
Map Reference: ST 894983
Owner in 1891: Messrs. Cook, Tetbury Brewery
Rateable value in 1891:
Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse
Owner in 1903: Messrs. Cook, Tetbury Brewery
Rateable value in 1903: £9.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse
Closing time in 1903: 10 pm
Landlords at the Nags Head Inn include:
1856 Mrs H. Waite
1885 Thomas Musto
1891 Joseph Sparrow
1902 Herbert Taylor
1903,1906 Charles Strange
1919 Albert Boulton
1927 Reginald Boulton
1939 Reginald Clifford Jackson
1968 William & Peggy Stewart (moved to the Woolpack in Butterow, Stroud)