No 1 London Road in 1919 and 1939 directories.
The Nags Head was purchased by the Cirencester Brewery Company on 23rd November 1937. In its latter years it sold beers from Simonds Reading Brewery.
The Nags Head was situated opposite the junction with Victoria Road. It was demolished as part of the Waterloo development c.1965-69. Before redevelopment the Waterloo was a very narrow winding track less than half of its present width. The site of the pub is now occupied by the position of the ‘give way’ sign across the left hand lane of the Waterloo coming into London Road.
Owner in 1891: T.W.C. Master (leased to Cirencester Brewery)
Rateable Value in 1891: £16.0s.0d.
Type of license in 1891: Alehouse
Owner in 1903: Cirencester Brewery (probably leased)
Rateable Value in 1903: £16.0s.0d.
Type of license in 1903: Alehouse
Closing time in 1903: 11pm
Landlords at the Nags Head include:
1820,1840 William Gearing (Nags Head Tavern, Dyer Street)
1856, 1889 William Lock (in 1889 William was also described as a timber dealer)
1891 Jane Lock
1902 Albert Milward
1903,1913 William Maddock
1919,1927 Alfred J. Clapham
1939 Arthur J. Francis