The Nags Head was once a substantial roadside inn beside the A46 less than a mile to the north of Nailsworth. The Nags Head was once tied to the Forwood Brewery, Minchinhampton (Playnes & Sons), and from 1897 it sold Stroud Brewery Ales. In 1891 the Nags Head was listed under the parish of Avening. The Nags Head was referred to the compensation authority c.1922 and was eventually demolished. A car sales forecourt now occupies the site.
Map Reference: SO 843007
Owner in 1891: George Playne, Forwood Brewery, Minchinhampton
Rateable value in 1891: £9.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Beerhouse
Owner in 1903: Stroud Brewery
Rateable value in 1903: £9.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Beerhouse
Closing time in 1903: 10pm
Landlords at the Nags Head include:
1891 Reuben Taylor
1903 Alfred E. Jeffrey