The Nags Head had an off sales license only in 1903. At that time it was owned by Godsell & Sons Salmon Springs Brewery but, for some reason, it was ‘free of tie’.
It is just possible to read the words ‘Nags Head Inn’ on the building in Bowl Hill. There are traces of additional sign writing on the Cotswold stone wall which probably once read ‘Stroud Brewery Ales’. The property is now called Laburnham and is in residential use.
Map Reference: SO 844034
Owner in 1891: William Chapman (free from brewery tie)
Rateable value in 1891: £10.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Beerhouse
Owner in 1903: Godsell & Sons, Salmon Springs Brewery, Stroud (but free from tie)
Rateable value in 1903: £10.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Beerhouse (off sales only)
Closing time in 1903:10pm
Landlords at the Nags Head include:
1891 William Chapman
1903 Clement Wilks Hobbs
1939 Mrs Alice Mary Harrison