The pub was built c.1860.
Francis Wintle’s Forest Brewery in Mitcheldean owned the Miners Inn in 1891 and 1903. The premises was listed as a beer house with an annual rateable value of £12.0s.0d. Closing time each night was at 10 pm. Richard Nash was the landlord.
In Heather Hurley’s book ‘The Pubs of the Royal Forest of Dean’ (Logaston Press) there is an inventory of the sale of the Miners Inn in 1937. It reads:
“All that messuage or Inn known as the Miners inn situate at Clements End Green West Dean near Coleford in the County of Gloucester and all outbuildings and appurtenances thereunto belonging comprising small garden in front closet stabling outhouses etc., and all other outbuildings and appurtenances thereunto belonging together with the site thereof and the land occupied therewith which said premises are now in the occupation of D.A. white as tenant.”
The Miners Inn changed its name to the Montague Inn back in 1982 so that it would not be confused with the Miners Arms at nearby Sling.
An application was submitted in April 2009 to Forest of Dean District Council for permission to alter and extend the public house to include Bed & Breakfast accommodation as well as a smoking shelter.
An ‘eating out’ review in the local newspapers dated 17th December 2009 reported that the Montague Inn was ‘a far cry from what it used to be. The pub has undergone a complete makeover in the last nine months, with the décor being a top priority.’ The article continued, ‘New owners Cran and Susan have worked hard to turn this once tired looking inn into a fresh and up-to-date place to relax with friends.’
The Montague Inn closed in 2015. The building is now in residential use and has been extended.
Landlords at the Miners Inn /Montague Inn include:
1891,1903 Richard Nash
1976 Peter George Hobson (Transfer May 1976)
1998, 2002 David and Jenny Chapman (Montague Inn)
2007 Steve and Carol Leeks
2009 Cran and Susan Jones