The Maypole was probably named after the Maypole that would likely have been on the village green in front of it. Thought to have been in existence in 1630 it would have been in the ideal position, in the center of Upton overlooking the area where the village fair was held, and also the market and the well, now replaced by the War Memorial and pump in the picture.

Share this Page: