The Marquis of Granby was located at 53 Barton Street in the 1873 Gloucester Directory. In the 1957 Gloucester Trades Directory the address is given as 75 Barton Street. The pub was located on the northern side of Barton Street between Nettleton Road and the Gloucester Public Baths.

An old postcard dating from the time when Herbert Bick was the landlord indicates that the Marquis of Granby was a Free House serving beer from both Mitchell & Butlers and Alton Court Brewery of Ross on Wye. Dewar’s, Watson’s, Buchanan’s, Dunville’s and Johnnie Walker’s Whiskies were also available with ‘Courvoisier’ Cognac ‘the Brandy of Napoleon’. Herbert Jonah Bick is seen posing in the postcard in his finest Sunday attire. Rather incongruously his pet dogs are positioned, somewhat precariously, on a tabletop next to him.

Gloucester Journal: Saturday, 12th August 1972 – Another Office Block for Gloucester in Barton Street: Yet another office block is on the way – this time providing over 42,000 square feet of space on the site shown here in Barton Street. An application from Metropolitan Investments Ltd. for a four and five storey office block with car parking on the site of 65-75 Barton Street and 1, Nettleton Road, has been approved. This will mean the demolition of a tobacconist, a turf accountant, a wool shop, and a store which sold spares for motor bikes and scooters. All are now empty and wait for the bulldozer. With this final blow to the Marquis of Granby public house, it leaves just four pubs between Barton Gates and the Cross.

Landlords at the Marquis of Granby include:

1830,1859 James Band

1873 Ann Band

1879 – Band

1885 Thomas Gough

1893 R.S. Bick

1902 Albert William Gough

1906 James Edwin Cole

1907 J. Maxfield

1927,1939 Herbert Jonah Bick

1957 J.W. Thornton

Share this Page: