The Marlborough Arms was the only Stroud Brewery pub in the town of Cirencester in 1903. The Stroud Brewery Courier announced in June 1948 that ‘Mr J.H.L. Newman, after several years employment finding suitable persons to conduct the Company’s licensed houses, resigned from his position at the end of March, having found a pub for himself, becoming the landlord of the Marlborough Arms in Cirencester. Mr Newman joined the company in June 1929 as a clerk in the Chepstow office, and came to Head Office in 1933. On behalf of the Directors and Staff, the Managing Director presented Mr Newman with a silver tea set, and expressed their best wishes for every success and prosperity in his new venture.’
The Marlborough Arms is now a great real ale pub and the interior is crammed with interesting brewery signs and memorabilia.
This page will be updated.
Owner in 1891: Stroud Brewery
Rateable Value in 1891: £11.5s.0d.
Type of license in 1891: Beerhouse
Owner in 1903: Stroud Brewery
Rateable Value in 1903: £11.5s.0d.
Type of license in 1903: Beerhouse
Closing time in 1903: 11pm
Owner (2005): Punch Taverns
Landlords at the Marlborough Arms include:
1891 Mark Kilminster
1903 Thomas Woodward
1939 Martin F. Kilminster
1948 J.H.L Newman
Sept.1997 – 2008 Charles and Angela Hart (brother and sister)