The Market Tavern was located to the left of the Angel Hotel. It was a modest establishment catering for market traders but seems to have ceased trading by the middle of the nineteenth century. The 1891 Gloucestershire licensing book makes no reference to the Market Tavern.
The building was in use for a long time as a shoe shop but has recently been converted to Platinum World Travel Agency.
In recent years there was another Market Tavern at 5/6 Market Place in Newland Street, on the opposite side of the clock tower, which later traded as the Red Lion.