The Magnet Inn was situated on the north-west corner of the junction of Union Street and Suffolk Street in the Clapham area of Gloucester. The address is given as 29 Union Street in a 1936 Gloucester directory. A photograph taken in the 1950’s shows the Magnet to be an austere stone rendered building with the words ‘Magnet Inn’ in raised lettering.
Union Street ran east-west between Suffolk Street and Columbia Street. The whole area was demolished in slum clearances.
Landlords at the Magnet Inn include:
1856,1859 William Davis
1879 C. Wathen
1885 William Wathen
1893 H. Gwilliam
1902 James Cox
1906 Daniel Roe
1919 Mrs Matilda E. Ashmead
1927 Harry Ashwin
1936 C.J. Smith
1939,1955 Edgar William Jones (died in 1955)
1959 Clara Jones (known as Daisy)
On closure – Desmond Jones (Mr and Mrs Edgar Jones youngest son – Married to Clara?)