The Loyal Volunteer was just inside the entrance to Gloucester Street from Dollar Street. It was listed at 182 Gloucester Street in the 1919 directory.
The Loyal Volunteer was originally a theatre with a licensed refreshment room. The theatre, at the rear of the premises, was built by John Boles and opened in 1799. Visitors and actors have included Sarah Siddons, Edmund Keen and William Cobbett.
The popularity of the theatre had fallen on hard times, as in 1842 it was being used as a barrel store and a bowling alley was in place in the former theatre pit.
The Loyal Volunteer suffered a serious fire in the 1930’s, destroying much of the interior.
The pub closed in 1955 and the building was converted to residential.
Owner in 1891: Cirencester Brewery
Rateable Value in 1891: £14.10s.0d.
Type of license in 1891: Alehouse
Owner in 1903: Cirencester Brewery
Rateable Value in 1903: £14.10s.0d.
Type of license in 1903: Alehouse
Closing time in 1903:
Landlords at the Loyal Volunteer include:
1820 Geo. Paps
1830 John Clinch (Volunteer Tavern, Gloucester Street)
1840,1856 J.W. Parsons
1871 James Snowsell (Volunteer Inn, Gloucester Street)
1885, 1889 Thomas French Richmond
1891,1910 William Cole Bridges
1919,1927 Mary Ann Gillman
1939 Eliza Catherine Gillman