The Nelson Inn, on the north-west corner of Nelson Street and Barton Street, was known as the Lord Nelson in 1830,1856 and 1868 references. The Nelson Inn had a very narrow frontage but extended a considerable distance back from Barton Street. There was a ‘Jug and Bottle’ off licence at the front entrance. The Nelson Inn had takings of £710 per annum in 1913 and £462 in 1916 – a direct effect of the Great War. The license of the property was referred to the Compensation Authority but the pub continued to trade through difficult years. Thomas Crisp, the landlord between 1908 and 1852, spent an unbroken 44 years behind the bar at the Nelson Inn – the longest recorded tenancy in Tewkesbury.  The Nelson Inn finally closed in 1970. The site of the pub is now occupied by Thocsbury House – O’Brien Wrench & Lowcock Opticians.

The approximate location of the Lord Nelson / Nelson Inn

Map Reference: SO 894327

Licensing Records:

Owner in 1891: George Mayo (free from brewery tie)

Rateable value in 1891: £15.0s.0d.

Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse

Owner in 1903: Arnold Perrett & Co. Ltd., Wickwar Brewery

Rateable value in 1903: £24.0s.0d.

Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse

Closing time in 1903: 11 pm

Landlords at the Lord Nelson / Nelson Inn include:

1774-1783 Francis Holland

1783-1801 Ann Holland (widow)

1801-1804 George Mills

1818,1832 John Hyatt (Lord Nelson)

1838,1843 Benjamin Hyatt

1843-1844 James Tandy

1844-1845 George Twogood

1845-1848 Charles Merrick (Lord Nelson)

1848 Charles Halford

1848,1856 Charles Merrick

1859 Eliza Merrick

1868 Edwin Merrick (Lord Nelson)

1876,1891 George Mayo

1891-1892 Elizabeth Stephens

1892-1893 Mrs Julia Deakin (nee Higgs)

1893-1895 Mrs Elizabeth Hall

1895-1903 Arthur Gillett

1903-1904 J. Mutlow

1904-1906 John Brokenrow

1906-1908 Joseph Hawkins

1908-1952 Thomas Hy. Crisp

1952-1957 William Gittins

1957 Lilian Crisp

1957 George Gittins

1964 Ivor Stephens

1964-1970 Alexander Warden

Share this Page: