Between 1824-1836 James Wakefield kept the Lamb Inn. At this time the four-horse London mail coaches started from the inn in the evening and returned to it next morning, daily, performing each journey in twelve hours.
On March 24th 1860 the ‘Stroud News’ reported that the Lamb had been ‘taken by Watts, Hallewell & Biddle’ of the Stroud Brewery.
The Retreat Wine Bar opened in the premises in 1988.
This page will be updated with much more information.
Owner in 1891: Mrs William Garner (leased Stroud Brewery)
Rateable value in 1891: £25.10s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse
Owner in 1903: Trustees of Mrs William Gardner (free from brewery tie)
Rateable value in 1903: £47.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse
Closing time in 1903: 11pm
Landlords at the Lamb Inn / The Retreat include:
1824-1836 James Wakefield
1856 W.H. Barnfield
1885 William Stephens
1891 Silvanus Fawkes
1902 George Ball
1903 James Kerton Horler
1927 John B. Ayers
1944-1955 Geoff and Peggy Davis (moved to the Forge Hammer in Lydbrook)
1998,2008 Ian Morrison (Retreat Wine Bar)