In 1891 the owner, John Dunn Cook, resided at Rapsgate Farm, Colesbourne.
The Cirencester Brewery Company purchased the Kings Head on 25th November 1926.
In the book ‘Withington – a Cotswold village history’ compiled by the Women’s Institute (2001) the pub is described thus: ‘Mrs Coralie Taylor, the present owner, was born in the Kings Head in 1929. Her parents had taken over the public house in 1912 as a temporary measure for the Cirencester Brewery. The family has managed and then owned the inn ever since. Formerly a bakery owned by William Day , the Kings Head was licensed to sell beer in 1873 and Mr Williams is recorded as living there in 1891. In 1912 when Mr and Mrs Griffin were looking after the Kings Head it was two separate buildings: a public room at the front and a small cottage at the back. Mrs Taylor has recently uncovered the old inglenook fireplace from this cottage which was on the back wall of the public bar. In the 1930’s the two buildings were joined , with a door through from one bar to the other. Extra car parking space was obtained by the purchase of a strip of land and in 1980 further extensions were made. The Kings Head is a delightful country pub favoured more by villagers than outsiders. On Boxing Day the Mummers put on a performance there, and the New Year is well and truly welcomed in on New Year’s Eve.’
The Kings Head was one of the last ‘wet led’ traditional pubs in the Cotswolds. The beer was served direct from the casks. When Mrs Taylor suffered a bad fall she was unable to carry on with the running of the Kings Head and it eventually closed. Sadly Mrs T passed away.
The building was bought by a local resident who had plans to convert the Kings Head to residential use, however the redevelopment has not yet taken place.
This page will be updated.
Owner in 1891: John Dunn Cook (leased Cripps & Co., Cirencester Brewery)
Rateable value in 1891: £8.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Beerhouse
Owner in 1903: Frank Dancer (leased Cirencester Brewery)
Rateable value in 1903: £8.12.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Beerhouse
Closing time in 1903: 10pm
Landlords at the Kings Head include:
1891 William Day
1903 Henry Bliss
1912-1949 Ernest Tom Griffin (took on the pub October 1st 1912. He died Feb 1949)
1949 Mrs Bessie D. Griffin (Widow of Ernest Tom Griffin)
1956 Peter Rowland Taylor and Coralie Enid Taylor
1978 (May) Coralie Enid Taylor and Donald Taylor (youngest son)