The Kings Head is located up windy and narrow lanes in the oldest part of Kingscourt. The 1996 edition of ‘Real Ale in Gloucestershire’ described it as being one of the most difficult pubs to find in the county. However, the views afforded over the Woodchester Valley are magnificent.
It is interesting to compare the photographs of the Kings Head. The first photo shows the pub in Edwardian times (the landlord might be Alfred Niblett). A small vegetable garden is evident at the front of the pub – are those Alfred’s prize cabbages? The second photo shows the Kings Head in modern times. A square extension has been built to the frontage, strengthening ‘S’ bars have been added and the vegetable patch is now an oil patch!
The interior of the Kings Head has not seen massive, over the top, brewery ‘improvements’ and retains many original features. The CAMRA ‘What Pub!’ website describes it as the closest to a 1930’s-1940’s interior in Stroud.
This page will be updated with additional information.
Map Reference: SO 844033
Owner in 1891: Stroud Brewery
Rateable value in 1891: £9.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Beerhouse
Owner in 1903: Stroud Brewery
Rateable value in 1903: £9.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Beerhouse
Closing time in 1903: 10pm
Landlords at the Kings Head include:
1891 Alfred Niblett
1903 Rhoda Niblett
1939 Harry Weaving
1939,1947 Charles Powell
1973 David Bence
1982 Brian Webb (moved to Carpenters Arms, Westrip)
1983 Anthony ‘Eddie’ & Joan Edwards
1984 Dave Bence
2008 John and Carol Nicholl