The sixteenth century stone built Kings Head is located in an idyllic position on the village green with a small stream running through the grounds.
There is an old photograph of the Kings Head at Bledington (not reproduced here) which shows a horse drawn dray delivering beer to the pub. The drayman is posing for the photographer next to his two horses with flat cap, workmans smock and the obligatory pipe. What is intriguing about the photograph is that the dray has come from Green’s Stow Brewery, Stow on the Wold and yet the Kings Head has a sign which reads: ‘Hunt Edmunds & Co. Ltd. Noted Banbury Ales.’ Either the Kings Head was offering Green’s Stow Brewery Ales as a guest beer or the drayman was having a crafty pint of the rival brew.
This page will be updated with additional information.
Map reference: SP 243228
Owner in 1891: Hunt Edmunds, Banbury
Rateable value in 1891: £20.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse
Owner in 1903: Hunt Edmunds, Banbury
Rateable value in 1903: £20.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse
Closing time in 1903:
Landlords at the Kings Head include:
c.1851 Emmanuel Slatter
1856 R. Bye
1885 Charles Fletcher
1891,1919 James Bolter
1927 Jn. Bolter
1939 Owen Whapham
1988,1999 Michael and Annette Royce
2010 Archie and Nicola Orr-Ewing