The Kings Head was originally built as a large house in 1818 and was probably first licensed early in the reign of Queen Victoria. c.1831. In 1897 a wealthy local industrialist named Charles Hooper erected a public drinking fountain in front of the Kings Head. Charles Hooper was an advocate of the Temperance Movement and the availability of drinking water was intended to quench the thirst of passers by without the need to nip in the pub for a pint or two of Cooks Tetbury Ales.
Stroud Brewery acquired the Kings Head when they took over the Tetbury Brewery in 1913. A Stroud Brewery inventory of property in 1928 listed the Kings Head with 10 acres of land. The public drinking fountain outside the pub has long disappeared, but the Kings Head is still open for refreshments.
Just after Christmas 1970 a blast wrecked the lounge bar of the Kings Head, but fortunately no-one was harmed in the explosion.
The Stroud News & Journal reported in January 2022 that the Kings Head House Hotel was to be run by Ethan Rogers, a Michelin recognised chef, who had been previously with Julian Dunkerton’s Lucky Onion Group and served as head chef at the exclusive Cirencester Park Polo Club.
This page will be updated with additional information.
Map Reference: SO 774053
Rateable Value in 1891: £21.0s.0d.
Owner in 1891: Messrs Cook, Tetbury Brewery
Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse
Rateable Value in 1903: £19.5s.0d.
Owner in 1903: Messrs Cook, Tetbury Brewery
Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse
Closing time in 1903: 10pm
Owner in 2008: Punch Taverns
Landlords / Owners of the Kings Head Hotel include:
1856 W. Niblett
1885,1891 Samuel William Went
1901 Frederick White (Aged 54. Listed as Kings Arms, Frampton, Eastington)
1902 George Huphnall
1903 Ambrose A. Willis
1906 William J. Peglar
1919 William Vaughan
1927,1939 Arthur Frank Underwood
1998 Bob and Lin Chalk
2000 Martha Todd and Matthew Allmark
2002, 2003 Mark Greenway