The Kings Head was located at the top of Church Lane on the junction with the main road (A46). Mrs Sophie Fry was the last licensee and at that time the Kings Head was predominately a cider pub. It had a back room that was used, amongst other things, as a meeting place for the Parish Council. Mrs Fry had a parrot that the locals taught to swear. Adjacent to the Kings Head was a row of terraced houses known as Kingshead Cottages.
The buildings were demolished in 1966 and semi-detached houses occupy the site today.
Map Reference: S0 923186
Owner in 1891: Job Pick (free from brewery tie)
Rateable value in 1891: £15.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Beerhouse
Owner in 1903: Job Pick (free from brewery tie)
Rateable value in 1903: £15.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Beerhouse
Closing time in 1903: 10pm
Landlords at the Kings Head include:
1891 Francis Habgood
1902,1919 Frederick Fry
1927,1939 Mrs Sophia Fry