The 18th century Kings Head is located at the south-western end of the village. The front façade is Georgian but the building is considerably older. The lounge bar had oak beams and a stone fireplace whilst the small front bar was used by locals to play darts.
The Kings Head was a tied house of Wadworth & Co, Devizes. In 1978 an advertisement stated that Wadworth Beers were ‘from the wood.’
A planning application was submitted in December 2000 to ‘change of use from public house to one private residence’. The last night for trading was Saturday 9th April 2001 when, somewhat ironically, Uley Bitter from the nearby Uley Brewery was on tap.
Map Reference: ST 785980
Owner in 1891: Smith & Sons, Brimscombe Brewery
Rateable value in 1891: £13.10s.0d
Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse
Owner in 1903: Smith & Sons, Brimscombe Brewery
Rateable value in 1903: £13.10s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse
Closing time in 1903: 10pm
Owner in 1978,2000: Wadworth & Co, Devizes, Wiltshire
Landlords at the Kings Head include:
1856 R. Ford
1885 Frederick Cook
1891 Frederick Higham
1902,1906 Mrs Mary Higham
1919,1939 Miss Louisa Grant
1997 (April) Adrian Gray