The Kings Arms was once a tied house of Godsell & Sons. The family brewery was at Salmon Springs just to the north of Stroud. The Kings Arms was in their ownership as early as 1891, deliveries to their Cheltenham pubs being undertaken by horse and dray.
The annual rateable value of the Kings Arms remained constant at £15.5s.0d. throughout the period of 1891 and 1903 and the pub was licensed as a beer house. In 1928 Godsell & Sons were taken over by their Stroud competitors, the Stroud Brewery. The acquisition, however, was a mutual agreement and Colonel Godsell was elected to the Board of the Stroud Brewery.
Landlords at the Kings Arms include:
1870 Samuel Birbeck
1883 M. Lambourn
1885,1891 George Lloyd
1903 William Roberts
1926 Frederick Nicholls
1939 James Plunkett