The Kings Arms is a fine example of a half- timbered building with a brick built extension. It once had its own brewery. William Hayward is listed as brewer there in 1856. William Haywards daughter, Emma, married William Archer in 1849. The Archer’s were well known jockeys. Fred Archer, William’s son, was very famous.
For many years the Kings Head was a Beefeater Pub, tied to Whitbread. The pub is still popular with the racing fraternity as it is near Cheltenham Racecourse.
It had a half a million pound makeover early in 2007 and operated as a stylish Bistro Pub.
This page will be updated with more information.
Owner in 1891: Reverend Bagshot De la Bere (leased Cheltenham Original Brewery)
Rateable value in 1891: £34.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse
Owner in 1903: Reverend Bagshot De la Bere (leased Cheltenham Original Brewery)
Rateable value in 1903: £34.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse
Closing time in 1903: 10 pm
Owner in 2007: Mitchell & Butlers Retail Leisure Limited.
Brewery heritage: West Country Ales ceramic plaque still in situ
Landlords at the Kings Arms include:
1830 William Hayward
1856 W. Hayward – listed as a brewer
1858 William Archer
1885,1891 Edmund William Cadle
1902,1903,1906 James Charman
1919 Charles Jackson
1926,1927 William Trinder
1939 Montague C. Payne
2007 Kelly Brown (was at the Slug and Lettuce in Regent Street)
2008 Greg Knight