The 1903 petty sessional divisional records clearly state that the Kings Arms was owned by R.W. Miller & Co of Bristol, yet photographs of that time show that the pub was tied to the Stroud Brewery Company.

Eliza Smith is recorded in the licensing returns of 1891 as the owner of the Kings Arms in Gloucester Road which she operated free from brewery tie. The premise licence was for an ale house and the annual rateable value was set at £34.0s.0d. in both 1891 and 1903. At the beginning of the Edwardian era the Kings Arms had been acquired by R.W. Miller of the Stokes Croft Brewery in Bristol.

The sign-writers work is superb. Unfortunately, when they painted the words ‘The Stroud Brewery Co. Limited’ between the ground and first floor windows they seem to have run out of space and the word ‘Limited’ is truncated to ‘Lim’ with a very small ‘td’ just inches away from the bay window.

The Gloucestershire Echo related a sad tale on April 10th 1931 reporting that the landlord, Mr Huntley, had been found dead in his bedroom by his wife. The verdict was ‘death from coal-gas, poisoning self-inhaled, while of unsound mind.’

Courtesy Michael Wilkes
Courtesy Michael Wilkes
Courtesy Michael Wilkes

Gone but not forgotten: The green sign-board to the right of the door was placed over a West Country Ales – Best in the West plaque.

Landlords at the Kings Arms include:

1856 T. White

1859 Henry Herbert

1878,1883 Samuel Goodred

1885,1891 Mrs Ann Goodred

1902, 1906  Samuel Best

1919 Mary Hillier Cox

1926,1927 Miss Susan Ellison

1931 Frank Cecil Huntley

1939 Mrs L. Huntley

1992 Miss P.M. Savory

1993 Kevin Bedwell

1999 George Charalambous (landlord)

1994,2005 Stephen and Ruth Cremin

Share this Page: