The King Edward VII is affectionately known as the ‘King Teddy’. It was built in 1905 by Mitchells & Butlers and was named after Edward VII’s visit to Gloucester in 1904. The license was probably transferred from the Globe Inn that was located on the other side of the Old Cheltenham Road.
Bass, the owners of the ‘King Teddy’, re-opened the pub in December 1985 after major alterations and a complete refurbishment. A series of extensions that had been built since 1970 were deemed unfit for purpose and the opportunity was taken to demolish them in order to redesign the pub. The new-look bar, known as the ‘Teddy’, provided skittles and pool facilities to complement the darts, cards and shove ha’penny that had been enjoyed previously. The ‘Langtry’ lounge was created in Edwardian style with separate areas reflecting different aspects of life at the beginning of the 20th century. The facelift was sensitively done without any sacrifice to its traditional character. In addition a new beer cellar was added, together with new toilets including facilities for the disabled.
The King Edward VII opened as an Ember Inns pub in December 2001 after a £500,000 refit.
The pub suffered from flash flooding in the downpour of July 20th 2007 and was closed until September of that year.
Landlords at the King Edward VII include:
1919,1936 Mrs Eliza Pollard
1939,1957 Albert Thomas Marriott
1974 Bert & Edna Pollard (he was landlord for27 years at the King Teddy.)
1985 Frank & Tina Walsh (from the Roundabout in Bristol Road)
1997,1999 Bruce Sedgwick
2002,2005 Christopher Foster
2006 Chris Stone
2007 Tom Spittle