It is interesting to note that the Abbey Brewery in Tewkesbury, trading as Jupp & Meyer, had three outlets near the village of Twyning. The Fleet Inn was owned by the brewery. Jupp & Meyer also leased the Gardeners Arms (in Puckrup?) and a beer house in Twyning licensed to sell off-sales only. The information comes from the 1891 book of licensed premises in Gloucestershire. However, it is likely that at the time of its publication the Abbey Brewery had already ceased brewing. It is recorded that in 1890 the Tewkesbury Original Brewery in Quay Street was registered to acquire Joseph Jupp’s Abbey Brewery and the business of James Wilkes Wilson’s Original Brewery. The Tewkesbury Original Brewery only existed for six years, being acquired by Arnold Perrett & Co’s Wickwar Brewery in 1896.
There is little information about the ‘off sales’ beerhouse in Twyning with no name. However, it might have been based in the property which is now residential and called Cider Mill House, Twyning Green GL20 6DQ.
Owner in 1891: Not given
Rateable value in 1891: John Day (leased Jupp & Meyer, Abbey Brewery Tewkesbury)
Type of licence in 1891: Beerhouse (off sales only)
Owner in 1903: John Day (leased Arnold Perrett & Co. Ltd., Wickwar Brewery)
Rateable value in 1903: Not given
Type of licence in 1903: Beerhouse (off sales only)
Closing time in 1903: 10pm
1891,1903 Neighbour Jeynes