In the 1885 Kellys directory the address of the Horse and Groom is given as 20, Longdon Place, St. James Street. The Horse and Groom was tied to Mitchell & Butlers of Cape Hill, Birmingham. It was believed to have been on the eastern side of the street, which has now been demolished. St. James Street car park now occupies the site.
Mitchell & Co. Ltd. of Birmingham were the owners of the Horse & Groom in 1891 and 1903. Designated as an ale house it had a comparatively low annual rateable value of £16.0s.0d. during those twelve years.
Landlords at the Horse & Groom include:
1870 Samuel Grinnell
1878 James Lugg
1883 John Nurden
1885 Charles Knight
1891 Joseph Jenkins. Alehouse.
1902,1903,1926 Emily Draper (Mrs)
1927 Albert Joseph Porter
1939 Ewart F. Tyler