The Horse & Drill was previously called the Drillmans Arms. Numbered 2 Siddington Road in 1939. The pub was once on the main road from Gloucester to Swindon.
The Horse and Drill closed in 1974 because the new dual carriageway linking the northern and southern bypasses was scheduled to be constructed on the site of the pub. However, although the road was built the Horse and Drill remained at the truncated end of Watermoor Road.
It became the Cotswold District Council Social Club but has recently closed.
Owner in 1891: Cirencester Brewery
Rateable Value in 1891: £12.15s.0d
Type of license in 1891: Alehouse
Owner in 1903: Cirencester Brewery
Rateable Value in 1903: £12.15s.0d
Type of license in 1903: Alehouse
Closing time in 1903: 11pm
Landlords at the Horse & Drill include:
1871 Thomas Hemsley
1885 George Parrott
1889,1891 William Henry Hale
1902 Annie Hale (Mrs)
1903,1906 Henry James Harper
1906 Henry James Harper
1913 H. Harper
1919 Geo. Lawrence
1927 Hy. A. Robinson
1960’s John Spakman (exact tenancy dates unknown)