9 Cainscross Road in 1939 directory. The Hope Inn was demolished for the construction of the roundabout at Wallbridge. The small pub was referred to as the Hope and Anchor in 1891.
After the Hope was pulled down James Dean moved to another Stroud Brewery pub – the nearby Kings Arms at Wallbridge. When the brewery deemed that the condition of that pub was not fit for purpose, the Kings Arms was demolished. James, and his wife Ethel, then took on the Stroud Brewery off licence in Bisley Old Road.
Owner in 1891: Stroud Brewery
Rateable value in 1891: £11.5s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Beerhouse
Owner in 1903: Stroud Brewery
Rateable value in 1903: £11.5s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Beerhouse
Closing time in 1903: 11pm
Landlords at the Hope Inn include:
1891 John Luker
1903 William Henry Luker
1928,1939 Daniel J. Dean
? James Dean (no, not that one!)