The Hill Oak is a Grade II listed Cotswold stone house in the hamlet of Ampney St Mary, just to the east of the road triangle. The building dates from 1776. The Cirencester Brewery purchased the Hill Oak on 10th March 1920.
It is thought to have closed as the village pub in the 1960’s. (date unknown). The 1913 reference to Ashbrook (see below) refers to the track that leads from Ampney St Mary in a south easterly direction towards Poulton, one mile away.
Map Reference: SP 088020
Owner in 1891: Mrs Reuben Smith (free from brewery tie)
Rateable Value in 1891: £9.12s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Beerhouse
Owner in 1903: Trustees of Reuben Smith (free from brewery tie)
Rateable Value in 1903: £9.12s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Beerhouse
Closing time in 1903: 10pm
Owner in 1920: Cirencester Brewery
Landlords at the Hill Oak include:
1891 Joseph Russell
1903 William Palmer
1913 Herbert Leach (Hill Oak, Ashbrook, Cirencester)
1939 Albert Osbourne Nicholls