At the foot of Harp Hill near the junction with Hales Road. The Hewlett Arms is still successfully trading but it is now known as ‘The Hewlett’. It has a distinct country pub feel about it with pleasant outdoor drinking areas.
Cheltenham Original Brewery were the outright owners of the Hewlett Arms in 1891 and it remained in their pub estate for many years. Classified and licensed as a beer house it had an annual rateable value of £17.0s.0d. in 1903 which was still the same twelve years later in 1903.
Landlords at the Hewlett Arms include:
1844 Joseph Collier (Hewletts Arms, Hewlett Road)
1871 Edward Taylor (in the census he is listed as an occupation painter and beer seller. He died in 1872)
1872-1888 Eliza Taylor (Eliza died in 1888)
1888-1935 John Shemmel Green (when he died in 1935, aged 78, he was the oldest licensee in Cheltenham)
1939 William Edward Augustus Green (nephew of John Shemmel Green)
1959 Muriel Gwendoline Green (landlady at the pub for 13 years, celebrated her 100th birthday in Sept. 2003)
1975 Harold Gould (chairman of the Cheltenham Licensed Victuallers Association)
2000 Jim and Maria Jennings
2003 Dennis Reddicliffe