The Hare & Hounds, on the B4063 Cheltenham Road East, is located on the eastern side of the junction with Parton Road and Innsworth Lane.
The Hare and Hounds once sold beer from Arnold Perretts Wickwar Brewery and one of their landlords, Alfred Thomas Rose Baldaro was summonsed in 1898 for violently ejecting a customer, but the case was dismissed. He was, however, convicted and fined £1.12s.0d. including costs on 11th November 1899 for permitting drunkenness on the premises.
The ownership of the pub passed through the hands of the Cheltenham Original Brewery, Cheltenham & Hereford Breweries, West Country Breweries and Whitbread. In February 1960 a passing motorist noticed smoke and flames coming from the roof. The pub was evacuated and the fire brigade put out the fire leaving only a small amount of damage.
The Hare and Hounds became part of the Greene King pub group in July 2004.
This page will be updated with additional information.
Map Reference: SO 874211
Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse
Owner in 1891: Arnold & Co., Wickwar Brewery
Rateable Value in 1903: £29.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse
Owner in 1903: Arnold Perrett & Co. Ltd., Wickwar Brewery
Closing time in 1903: 10pm
Landlords at the Hare & Hounds include:
1856 C. Tidmarsh
1885 Thomas Dancey
1891 F.G. Treherne
1897,1903 Alfred Thomas Rose Baldaro
1906 Albert Richard Howes Baldaro
1919 Edward Wilson
1927 Ernest William Romans
1939,1957 Douglas Dennis Bending
1980 Royston & Eunice James
2000, 2001 Dave Brown and Sarah Mole
2008 Fred Riley (manager)