The Happy Return was on the corner of Old Sun Street and the High Street. In the late 1800’s it was flanked by the walls of ‘Doddo’s house’ to the north and the gap left by the demolition of the Sun beer house to the south. William Crockett was convicted and fined £2.0s.0d., plus costs for supplying drink during prohibited hours on 9th June 1901.

The Happy Return closed during the First World War. This area of Tewkesbury has changed beyond all recognition. The site of the Happy Return is now part of the Bishops Walk shopping centre on the east side of the Upper High Street

Map Reference: SO 892330

Owner in 1891: Tewkesbury Brewery

Rateable value in 1891: £13.0s.0d.

Type of licence in 1891: Beerhouse

Owner in 1901:  Arnold Perrett & Co. Ltd., Wickwar Brewery

Owner in 1903:  Arnold Perrett & Co. Ltd., Wickwar Brewery

Rateable value in 1903: £23.0s.0d.

Type of licence in 1903: Beerhouse (beer and cider licence)

Closing time in 1903: 11pm

Landlords at the Happy Return include:

1869 Thomas Rice

1889-1892 John Predith

1892-1903 William Crockett

1903-1904 Frank Bullock

1904-1906 William Woods

1906-1908 Frederick Whatley

1908   Mary Ann Ford

1908-1909 Joseph Hawkins

1909-1912 Walter Lane

1912-1914 Charles & Edward Harris

1914-1915 Ann Colwell

1915-1916 Edward Harris

1916-1917 Thomas Albert Curtis

Share this Page: